Custom Hearing Protection
Premium hearing protection at work, at home, and at play!
Whether it’s for industrial settings, protection for recreational noise like watersports, woodworking, or hunting, protecting the ears from water while swimming or bathing, or for professional musicians or concertgoers, Beach Eye Care & Audiology has the solution for you!
Studies have shown that prolonged exposure to sounds above 85 decibels (dB) can cause hearing damage, and the louder the sound, the quicker it takes to cause hearing loss. Sounds at or below 70 dB are considered safe.
The extent of damage to your hearing caused by noise depends on:
- Decibel level, or how loud the sound is.
- Distance, or how close you are to the source of the sound.
- Time, or the length of time you are exposed to the sound.
A single gunshot blast can produce noise from 140-175 dB, well above the recommended safe hearing level. Additionally, one impact sound in this range can cause temporary hearing loss and even lasting damage. At these volumes, the length of time doesn’t have to be as long to result in hearing damage.
Despite these statistics, only 58.5 percent of enthusiasts who use firearms always use hearing protection. Unfortunately, 21.4 percent of enthusiasts never use hearing protection when shooting.
The best thing you can do to prevent hearing loss is to use some type of hearing protection. It’s best to put on your hearing protection before beginning your activities. For noise protection, foam earplugs AND earmuffs work well enough at protecting your ears, but some have expressed this makes it harder to hear ambient noise and conversation from those around you.
Fortunately, Beach Eye Care & Audiology offers a variety of ear and hearing protection from Westone® designed specifically to provide exactly the kind required for your unique needs!
- The DefendEar™ DigitalX (DEDX) line is the latest generation of custom-fit, digital hearing protection.
- DefendEar AquaNot swim plugs are 100% American-made from the finest floatable silicone and are available in a wide range of fun and vibrant colors. Ideal for swimming and watersports.
- If you’re a surfer, our DefendEar Surfer earpieces are ideal for you. The Surfer is designed to prevent the surfer’s ear and swimmer’s ear caused by exposure to cold water and wind.
- For music lovers, the TRU line of hearing protection can be used in a variety of settings, however these amazing earpieces were originally designed specifically with music lovers in mind. Utilizing advanced acoustic filter technology, TRU earpieces have been critically tuned to reduce volume while still maintaining sound quality in a variety of potentially loud settings.